Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Woz

I was doing some research today and came across Waziyatawin.  She's an academic and Native activist.  Reading her stuff, I decided I really liked her, both because she makes important points and because she's eloquent. 
While I was reading some interviews with her I noticed that they referred to her as "The Woz" which made me think of the famed computer tycoon.  I think that's possibly the best nickname to have. 
Also, on a more serious note, Waziyatawin is being targeted by the FBI for giving a speech criticizing the U.S. government's handling on Native lands.  She's not a terrorist. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, well

    "Waziyatawin is being targeted by the FBI for giving a speech criticizing the U.S. government's handling on Native lands."

    What would you say is a good definition of free speech in the States, Eliza?

    I know free speech is an ongoing open debate over here. What is dangerous to the country etc and so forth.It's something you have to define constantly under the threat of terrorist activity and the right to protest? These are not hard and fast things. They should be based on simple moral principles.But????????

    ReplyDelete