Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Working on the Resolution

Back at work for the first time since the holidays.  It was an okay day.  It was quiet in the office, but I got swamped with work, most of it that I'm going to have to do tomorrow.  Mostly it was the same paperwork I've gotten used to, though there was some talk about training me in new stuff I've never done before and then maybe I helped out with a small project. 
After work I had dinner with Elizabeth, Jenny and Rebecca.  When I sat down with Elizabeth, I immediately noticed Mimi wasn't sitting with her usual group of friends. 
"Has something happened?" I asked.  I already knew the answer. 
"Mimi had a fight with Isabel." 
Mimi having a fight is nothing new; she fights all the time, but usually with Maria.  Isabel can be a really difficult person to get along with too, but I've never seen the two of them go at it. 
"What was the fight over?"
"I don't know."
"Probably the tv."
Elizabeth let out an exasperated sigh.  "We're suppose to be adults, for god's sake."
"I mean, maybe not, it's just that every fight I've witnessed has been over the tv."  And even though I've never see Isabel fight with someone over the tv, I've watched her be heavy handed with others.  Mimi is not the kind to take well to that kind of thing.
Isabel has this annoying tendency to come in and change the channel to the news, even if you're clearly sitting there.  Her rational is that she has to watch the news, which would be fine, but she always falls asleep anyway.  I wish she'd just get a tv in her own room so she could sleep there and not annoy me. 
We chatted a little about the fighting.  Elizabeth had some theories on it.  She thought that maybe the younger girls were just better behaved because they had a common enemy.  Honestly, I think it's just a better attitude.  Mary Kay gets on with people, but that's because she's nice.  Mimi and Isabel are notoriously mean or at the least difficult, and mean people don't usually nice-up when someone's mean to them.  They just get worse. 
Faith and Jessica came around, and we all sat with each other.  We chatted about learning how to drive.  Elizabeth told us about being out in the snow.  We had our usual good dinner.  Mimi kind of wanted to sit with us, but I'm not sure about letting her round.  I've already watched her be so mean to people, and she sort of has this weird need to get Jenny's attention all the time. 
After dinner, I sat down to too some reading, and I ended up having a heart to heart with Jon.  Jon and I have been friends for years, but we're not really close.  But tonight we sort of bonded over some stuff.  I was really surprised at his candor. 
I really appreciate it when people tell me something true, something they are struggling to say.  As much as I hate to admit it, I always thought Jon was telling me the truth, it just was an ugly one that made me dislike a lot about him.  But tonight he showed me there was a sad, disappointed person inside, and it made me care for him a great deal more. 
I didn't formally set a New Year's resolution, but I was thinking the other day about how I need to be more forgiving and less judgemental.  Maybe this was a good way to start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment