Friday, January 28, 2011

The Night of Ring Day

Dinner tonight was quiet.  Ruth is gone and Elizabeth didn't show up, so it was sort of a smaller group than usual.  Jenny talked a bit about her first hangover and Claire and her struck up a conversation talking about Scottish slang. 
Preadad came over to sit with us again tonight.  I really don't like her, and I wish, honestly, she wouldn't talk to me, because I hate making the effort to be nice to her.  It sounds terrible, but I sort of like it when I and someone else decide we don't like each other, and since there aren't many circumstances in which we have to talk to one other, we simply avoid each other, and thus avoid confrontation.  I especially like this because it allows me to avoid trying to be better natured than I truly am. 
It was all big news that we were going out tonight to celebrate Rachel getting a new job.  I found myself wondering how much I should put into my appearance.  I really don't want to make an effort tonight, and honestly if this wasn't for Rachel, I wouldn't go out at all and just stay in and watch a movie. 
Nina asked me to buy toilet paper, and since I was running low on shampoo, in between dinner and going out I went to get some.  Pharmacies around here are shabby, and this one was no different, with the computer freezing up as I tried to check out. 
I finally got home, and put on the lightest bit of makeup, and then went downstairs.  On the way down, I ran into Mimi.  She gave me this strange speech about when one should press the button on the elevator.  "Wait five seconds before you press it." 
"Okay," I said.  I continued saying that, even though she didn't really wait for me to confirm I was listening, just talked about how you have to wait, counting it out for me in demonstration.  It's not as if it matters: the door closes when it is ready to; pressing the button at one second or another doesn't make a difference; you still end up at the same place at the same time.  But everyone sort of humors Mimi because she seems to be at least a little bit mad. 
Downstairs we had a ring day celebration.  This is some strange game Elizabeth made up to celebrate achievements of various kinds.  The last time was for Rebecca, and for whatever reason I missed it.  (Had I gone out that even with Mikey?  I can't recall.)  Anyway, this was my first ring day, so I didn't know exactly what to expect, though Elizabeth had explained it to me once. 
Basically, Elizabeth brought this giant hula hoop, covered with ribbons, and she told Rachel she had to walk through it.  Several people took pictures as Rachel crawled through in in slow motion.  (She even said the word "slow motion" as slowly as possible.) 
Then Elizabeth gave Rachel this ring, which I was really surprised to say looked really nice.  It was sort of knot set with green stones.  Then everyone had to twist the ring around Rachel's ring going towards the pinkie finger.  "Don't go the other way or she'll be a nun," Elizabeth insisted.  I honestly don't know if that's true or not, but I really don't know much about how nuns are made other than to say they are married to God and whatnot. 
There were other people sort of milling about and you could tell they thought we were barking mad, and they were sort of laughing at our escapades.  I hate to say it, but adults are always making up little games, even if they don't talk about it.  (Especially if they don't talk about.) 
Lola was there, and I was sort of surprised to see her.  I don't remember her being as pretty as she was today.  Maybe I am appreciating her now that I don't see her on a regular basis and she doesn't have a chance to annoy me twice a day. 
We went out to the bar then.  When we got there, we had a bit of trouble.  The woman wouldn't let us sit down at a table.  The girls prefer this bar because they let us sit down.  I realized if we were here an hour later it probably wouldn't be a problem. 
Amanda made the comment that "the customer is always right," and that service jobs are all about giving people what they want.  She's right, of course, but it is one of the things that I am not good at, even when I remind myself.  I am just naturally not inclined towards other people. 
I think what was sort of irritating was that Rachel had actually made reservations before hand, and they were giving her trouble now. 
After a bit of trouble, they let us sit down.  I tried to be super gracious.  I'd been to this bar before and I had never seen the young woman in question, which makes me wonder if she is new. 
We had the same waiter we had a couple of weeks ago when I went out with the girls.  A bunch of them ordered margaritas.  I noticed a listening for a spiked Arnold Palmer, so I ordered that. 
It was horrible.  Like, really rank.  I actually have not been impressed by this place in terms of drinks.  Long Island Ice Teas and Captain and Cokes are also really bad at this place.  And I'm not a fan of margaritas. 
Meanwhile, I chatted with the girls.  Lola sat on the other side of the table, so I didn't really mind her at all tonight.  I sat with Jenny and Claire.  Jenny and I complained a lot about various mutual enemies.  We sort of filled Claire in on how Jenny has become Mimi's friend, though Jenny really hates her.  Everyone enjoyed my story of the latest run-in with Mimi on the elevator.
Jenny also knew somethings about Mimi I didn't.  According to Jenny, Mimi has four sisters, and all of them are married and normal.  Mimi was apparently showing Jenny a family album and she had all these pictures of her nephews and nieces, and none of them were smiling in any of them. 
"That's because they were with Mimi," Jenny explained.   

No comments:

Post a Comment