Sunday, January 16, 2011

Cafeteria Crushes

Had lunch with a bunch of my friends today.
At another table there was some sort of debacle.  We still haven't figured out what it is, but it involved making an hour of Lenny's life bad.  This is what usually happens when certain people get unhappy: it doesn't matter who is actually at fault, if you've made the mistake of being nearby, you're the target for their anger. 
Also sad is that my cafeteria crush was not in today.  I haven't seen him around all weekend.  Claire has finally relented that he is not, in fact, too young for me.  Jenny thinks he's very much around twenty, which sounds just about perfect.  It also appears that because he so much more polite than a bunch of the other cafeteria workers about that he is generally a favorite with everyone else.  Though apparently no one else is as rapid for him as I am. 
Lunch itself was sort of terrible.  I thought they had set lime jello out, so I took a bunch.  I was so happy to have jello.  Turns out it was mint jelly, and that people put it on lamb.  I don't eat lamb very much and I certainly don't know what to do with mint jelly.  So I was very disappointed by it.    
But the best news is this: Ruth is back!  I saw her walk into the cafeteria and it was just like old times.  We were back to having our little private conversations and giggles with one another.  I have missed her so much.  I love being around her; she is one of the few people who I feel I implicitly understand and vice versa. 
I asked her what she did on her Christmas break, which was mostly traveling to see old friends.  (Not doing her work, you'll notice.)  She said her sister got to the family house just in the nick of time, Christmas eve. 
She has a new roommate, who she described as a "belly dancer."  Anything, really, would be better than her old one, who was so mean.  If Ruth had come maybe two days earlier, she might have ended up with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment