Monday, June 7, 2010

Power Down

The power went out earlier today.  Luckily, it was still mostly light outside.  I had a long list of things I wanted to do, but most of them involved a computer, so I sat down and began doing some reading.  I read two essays, finished the introduction for the book, and then went over a third essay's notes.  (I read that last essay a few months back, so I really don't think it's necessary to re-read it.)  I have a whole list of things now that I want to look up or think about or write about now.  Some of them are actually very exciting.  But I'll save that for later.
Without power, I had to sit in the rooms with large windows and work by them.  My father felt the need to sit in the first room I choose, reading a book, probably a biography.  (All old people, it seems, like biographies.  Which would be fine if they had better taste in people to be interested in.)  Then he would make all sorts of noise that I found very distracting.  So I moved to the kitchen, also with a large enough window I could sit and work by.
But of course that meant my father had to come in and make tons of noise there to.  I moved back to the first room.  He came into the first room, so I'm back in the kitchen.  Then he's back in the kitchen, trying to fix something.
This is one of the many things that irritates my about him.  He's so rude.  You'll clearly be doing something, like talking on the phone, and he always, no matter what, manages to want to distract you, by talking to you.
Finally, I got all the reading I wanted done.  I went upstairs.  I considered calling Dan.  He would probably have a lot to say about us being without power and maybe I could make amends for the insensitive things I said the last time I spoke to him.
Then I looked outside.  We had lost power, presumably, because it was raining.  But the raining stopped about twenty minutes after the power went out.  So I decide to go out.
I always try not to leave a lot of time to talk to my dad.  I quickly say that I am going out for a walk, and then he feels the need to tell me where I should walk.
This is another thing that makes me crazy.  He is always telling me what to do like I'm four.  I'm twenty-two, I'm fine, thanks, go away now.  I can't do anything in his line of sight without him telling me how to do it.  I wish I could say that I'm the only one who does this, but I've heard his officemates complain of the same thing.
People do not like being told what to do.  Generally, it's a bad idea.  If someone asks for advice or your thoughts on the matter, than by all means, be honest, but otherwise, no, no one cares.
His current job is ending soon, which means he will once again have nothing to do but hang around the house and hover over every little thing I do.  God, living here makes me wish I was back at MSU living alone in my room.  It was so pleasant.  I got to be around whoever, and then when I needed time alone, I went to be alone.
When I came back from my walk, the power was thankfully on, and I was able to work on my various projects in relative peace.
But then when I went downstairs to get some crackers, he felt the need to tell me where I could eat them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment