Monday, June 14, 2010

Coloring and Cooking

I had a babysitting gig today. 
I was just watching one little girl, and I played with her the entire time.  She had this set of blocks that were meant to be stacked on top of each other to make various towers.  She mostly played with that and I watched.  She's a big fan of me watching her play with things, either that or making up games that are designed to make her win.  It's obviously boring from my point of view.  I found myself fantasizing about going home and reading this article I was working on last night.
We also went round to one of her friend's house, where they were painting rocks.  She painted a rock for herself (making it green and blue) and her other friends had made various rocks, one clearly painted with a butterfly on top. 
We also played with her brother's train set.  (Same basic deal.  Watch her make the trains go or let her boss me around.)  We were also able to build some elaborate tracks for the trains to navigate on. 
One of my favorite things to do when babysitting is coloring because it keeps kids in their seats (less likely to hurt themselves) and they're actually making something.  Coloring in actual coloring books is sort of exotic to me, because when I was a kid I never used them.  I knew what they were, I saw other kids like them.  But the coloring books never had pictures of my house or my friends in outfits I designed for them or anything like that, and I always preferred blank paper to coloring books.  Now, of course, there's something nicely mindless about coloring books.  I just sat there and colored pictures of rabbits and Hello Kitty and other things.  She started off coloring and then made some pictures of her own, mostly focusing on making hearts.  She made me a picture, which consisted of my name, the word love and what was explained to me as a cupcake.  
Making lunch was the least fun part.  I told her that she could go play, but she wanted to hang around the kitchen.  Because I was making her mac and cheese, this made me a little wary, because I would rather she be out in the living room playing with her dolls than be around boiling water.  One of the many annoying things I notice about babysitting is that kids basically expect you to do anything you want the moment they say it.  I'm certain I was a pain in the ass to my Mom, but I also remember being told no a lot.  Or something like "I can't just wave my magic wand and make that happen," in answer to something physically impossible. 
Their stove was also really slow at boiling things, which just sort of added to the problem, because she kept asking when it was going to be.  I told her that she was welcome to go play with her toys in the meantime, but no, she wanted to sit there and watch me.  Finally, the water started boiling after ten minutes, and once I got it to boil, making the rest of the mac and cheese wasn't too hard.  I'm not much of a cook, and I don't make food often (my Dad insists on making me everything at home.  Every time I enter the kitchen, he comes in behind me and asks me four times each if I want something.  No, I just want to look through the mail.) and I'm always wary of using equipment that I'm unfamiliar with.
The Dad set out the mac and cheese, but not the pots or pans or even a microwavable bowl.  Their kitchen is a mess and sort of hard to navigate, since things are placed in cupboards that would be better in a different cupboard right next to them.  Plus, very few of their bowls were labeled, and the ones that were indicated that they weren't to be put in the microwave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment