Thursday, June 17, 2010

Shway Fu

Matt and I had dinner tonight.  It was a really good time. 
We had this whole long conversation where we made fun of Twilight.  Matt's sisters are really into it, so he complained to me that he can't even escape it.  This is one of the few times I'm grateful that my sister hates reading, so my family is Twilight free.  Except for my merciless teasing on it. 
I told him all about my whole Mom being dramatic thing.  I also went on a rant about how I don't understand what New Age types are talking about when they say that you need to flow with the energy in shway fu.  This got him to laugh at me and said I had created a spoonerism of the right word, feng shui.  And, at one point, I told him that me and math went together like oil and the Gulf of Mexico: it's a disaster.  That last one made him laugh really hard.  
Matt thinks I'm really funny, and I would say that I have my moments of wit, but I'm not that impressive.  He had this idea to video tape our conversations and then put clips of them up on YouTube.  I'm wondering if anyone would actually be interested in that.  I think it's a lot of giggling between us, mostly.  And if you've ever listened in on other conversations (which I never do...) than you know that they tend to be fairly boring, if not downright stupid. 
We ended up getting kicked out of the restaurant we were in because it was so late.  There was this moment when I realized that we were the only people there anymore.  So we sat in his car and talked.  Man, I'm sometimes so embarrassed by my Podunk town sometimes.  There's not much to do.  Just sit around in the dark night talking. 
My sister texted me, asking if I wanted to go get some stuff for Father's Day, and I said yes, thinking we'd be back soon, but it was like the time just disappeared, and poof! she had left without me after giving up.  Matt and I spent hours hanging out.  Oh well.  I also need to get a certain someone a birthday gift, so I was going to that with my sister, but I guess I'll have to try tomorrow.
When I got home, my Mom was all "What do we need to know about Matt?"  It made me miss MSU, where I could go out with a boy, and no one would give me a hard time.  Any time I hang out with a guy, my Mom has to make it into such a big deal. 

2 comments:

  1. Eliza, I know you are a Jane Austen Today follower, so I thought it only fair I have a look at your BLOG.

    There are lot of issues you write about that I could comment on for reasons I won't say apart from, we are different generations. And it's not that I don't understand or try to understand.

    However Eliza, you are a terrific writer.

    When are you going to write your first novel? I think you should.( Sorry, wrong generation telling you what to do. I will shut up now.)

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Thanks so much. I'm so flattered! I love reading your blog too; London is a favorite town of mine. (And, well, duh, Jane Austen's cool!)
    As to the writing thing: I obviously like to write. These days I mostly concentrate on poetry. I'm sort of scared to write a novel, it's a little daunting.

    ReplyDelete