Sunday, June 13, 2010

Out with Friends, pt. 2

One of the other things about being out with friends was that it allowed me to get some updates on people. 
Ashley, for example, is looking for a job.  One of the old boarding schools she used to work with is looking to hire people in an mentor like capacity.  I'm not going to lie, I'd really like to get a job like that.  I've always wanted to go to a boarding school (which probably fed into my love of living at school), but working at one is the next best thing.  There's no way I qualify for this job, or at least not the way Ashley does.  Ashley spent time as a mentor at her university, and I decided not to do that.  So, to prevent myself from being jealous, I'm remembering all the stupid stuff mentors had to do and all the crappy mentors we had. 
Tori is taking summer classes.  She's thinking of getting a master's in history, working at a community college, and then using that money to put herself through a Ph.D.  I didn't mention that really, you shouldn't have to pay for a master's or a Ph.D, but then I remembered how I really don't know anything. 
Tori also changed her major from biology to history.  I know that she'll be amazing in history, but I realized last night that almost all of my friends have changed their major at one point or another.  Was this something I was suppose to do too?  I guess not, since the idea of giving up English breaks my heart. 
We also chatted about the World Cup and about the recent debacle over the baseball commissioner not calling the perfect game for the Tigers.  I actually held my own on a sports conversation!  I guess hanging out all the time with Danny and Paul really made a difference.  I actually know what I'm talking about now.  I'm really proud of myself.  I've grown. 
At the end of the night, we went driving through town.  It was so dark, and as we drove past fields and through the woods, it was so quiet and beautiful looking.  I love night.  Everything felt blissful and calm and safe last night.
When I got home, I showered and then realized that I was actually tired.  I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately, so being tired before one in the morning made me think that maybe I could just sleep normally.  And I did.
Last night was one of our best nights out, strangely enough.  Over the years, we've had some disagreements and other things, but we didn't fight or anything.  Maybe we've changed since high school, but maybe we're changing back towards each other, not away from each other they way I thought we were.  I heard someone say a few days ago that friends recklessly hurt each other and then awkwardly forgive each other.  Maybe we're getting better at that last part. 

No comments:

Post a Comment