Friday, June 25, 2010

They Don't Pay Me Enough to Do This

My Mom, among other things, runs her own business.  This apparently means that I am required to help out with it.  Not my sister or Dad, of course, but me. 
Yesterday, I was trying to eat some thin crusted pizza, and my Mom was upset that I wasn't helping her at that moment.  I had spent the morning visiting my Grandma and taking care of her.  It was 4:30 and I hadn't had anything to eat since 9:30 that morning.  It annoys me a little that she was like that, but I decided to treat her with the sort of patience I suspect elementary school teachers use on a particularly bad kid: ignoring her as much as possible. 
Once I got done, I did start helping her with stuff.  She asked me to stuff envelopes.  She has all this stuff she wants me to put in each one, and that's fine, I can do that, but of course I need all the materials.  She flew around trying to find all of them.  I turned on the tv and watched some nature program about predators on the African Serengeti.  I'm glad no one gave me a hard time about what I was watching.
As I was working on that, my Mom's friend Elizabeth came over.  I don't really like Elizabeth.  There's something off about her that I'm still struggling to put my finger on.  I get the distinct impression she wishes she was my Mom, or at least her daughter.  She has my Mom's same terrible haircut and runs everything in her life like my Mom does. 
One of the other things that irks me about her is that she brought her toddler over.  I don't really like kids, but every time that she comes over she almost always brings her toddler over, and it doesn't matter what I am doing, my Mom plops her down in front of me with the directions to "watch her."  I hate that because they treat me like I'm at beck and call for unpaid babysitting time.  In addition to that, when I actually go over to Elizabeth's house to babysit her kid, I get paid about 2.20 an hour, which for those of you not up on babysitting wages, it's terrible.  Normal babysitting is at least seven, honestly, and when you count the impromptu time, I deserve so much more than 2.20 an hour.  So when I saw the toddler come into the house, my heart fell.  Oh please, I thought, don't make me watch her
Luckily, my Mom had other tasks for me.  I found myself more than happy to do those.  I stuffed more envelopes and switched to Doctor Who, which was showing the finale to season three.  I love Doctor Who, and my favorite companion (so far!) is Martha, so this cheered my up considerably.
I texted Matt, telling him that it was on (he's a fan too).  We haven't talked since last week, on our dinner that was almost certainly a date.  He told me he was out but that he'd look into it. 
Other friends of my Mom's started coming into the house.  There are very few of her friends that I like, and she seems to get closer to one's I particularly dislike.  Several of those women came in.  One of them asked what I was watching.  "Doctor Who," I answered.  They were mostly too busy with some stuff they were helping my Mom out with, including making some food.  My Dad was baking some kind of Raspberry Crumble Cake, which meant he was going to ask me three or four times if I tried it and what I thought of it.  One of the few good things about my Mom's business is that she usually has some food around when people come by, and that always means I'm allowed to have some of it too. 
After I finished stuffing envelopes, she had all these prizes she was giving away, so would I please stuff those too?  Okay.  I began doing that.  As I did, Elizabeth's daughter bounced around on our couch's headboard.  Elizabeth yelled at her a few times to no avail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment