Saturday, June 26, 2010

Power Down pt. 2

I sat and cut out coupons today.  It's the first time I've done so in years, and it was enlightening. 
For example, when did they start putting in coupons for condoms?  I was tempted to cut that coupon out, but on the off chance one of my parents saw it, I decided not to.
After that, my Dad and I went out for an early dinner.  My Dad had been planning some culinary adventure, but without power, he was unable to start.
We talked about plans for my future education.  I repeated some of the things I've been saying several times, and my Dad reacted to them as if they were totally new.  This is always a little disappointing, because it means he's not listening to me. 
We had dinner.  Our waiter, Erik, was very cute in a clearly-a-Scandinavian way.  I imagined him dressed as a Viking.  I imagined the two of us in one of those Viking romance novels.  (Only, one without so much misogyny.)  He acted shocked when I ordered alcohol and had an id that indicated I was of age. 
As we were eating, my Mom called.  She had gone over to Elizabeth's house to watch her daughter for Elizabeth.  This really annoys me.  Like I said before, Elizabeth is cheap when it comes to babysitting, even though we are family friends and she is forever expecting me to just watch her kid.  So last night when my Mom asked me to babysit for her, I said no.  I said I'd rather watch my Grandma, where I wouldn't be responsible for constantly entertaining her and could get some of my own work done. 
So, apparently this means that my Mom has to pick up the slack.  Elizabeth knows that my Mom is crazy busy and stressed, since that's all she talks about.  Elizabeth takes advantage of us, and my Mom lets her. 
Sorry, I didn't mean to digress.
Anyway, my Mom called, asking my Dad and I to bring her food for her and my sister (who decided to drop by Elizabeth's house too...).  So we got a salad and some crispy chicken. 
I took a moment to check my email at Elizabeth's house, because they actually had power, unlike us. 
The my sister mentioned that she had left the front door unlocked.  Usually, she's so much smarter than that.  Instead of calling us to ask for help, she just left. 
We don't live in a really dangerous neighborhood, but every year people in the neighborhood get robbed.  It's almost on clockwork.  A group of people comes in around two or three at night, opens whatever doors or cars they can, and takes everything out and litters the stuff in front of the house.  And then groups drive by and pick through, taking what they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment