Friday, June 4, 2010

Step Back: I'm Using Science

A couple of days ago, Jennifer and I got onto a conversation on aluminum. Basically, there is a lot of scientific evidence (though not clear proof) that aluminum increases your likelihood of developing Alzheimer's disease. This was totally news to me. (Read a pdf review of the research that's been done on the subject.)
The biggest problem with all of this is that aluminum is in a ton of products, most of which people use on a regular basis and don't think much about like toothpaste, deodorant, and makeup.
So, in an attempt to understand this issue better, I did a little scouting online. I was mostly looking at the things I like to buy that might have this stuff in it. The only thing I found? Sun screen from Sephora. Sun screen is suppose to help you not get sun burned and develop skin cancer, not make plaques grow in your brain. This kind contains Aluminum hydroxide, which is less dangerous than other kinds, like organic forms, which are more easily absorbed. I found other products here and there with aluminum in them, though none with something like Aluminum citrate.
But I did find that apparently no one likes to list their ingredients right on the page where they're selling. This angers me a lot. I feel like it shouldn't be that hard for them to type them up. I'm this close to boycotting the companies that won't list ingredients (which is a far longer list than companies I found who always listed them.)
What's most sad is that a lot of companies that are very much in the business of selling beauty products seemed to have the hardest time listing things. Department stores that sell mostly clothes often wouldn't list, but companies who are happy to carry on about how their stuff smell like Cucumber Melon or A Day at the Beach were pretty disappointing about listing whether or not their stuff had iron oxides. Consumers have a right not know what they're purchasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment