Friday, May 7, 2010

Something About a Circle

One of the strangest things about ending college (the last year, the last semester, the last few days) has been how my life has been coming around in full circle. They're little moments, to be sure, but I still feel them acutely.
Tonight, I had to take down my wall decorations. I'm really into collage, and every year of college, I do a wall collage of some kind. It's gotten increasingly personal as the years have gone on, and this year was very scrapebooky, but obviously on the wall. I took some pictures of this year's efforts, and I might post them.As I was about to take it down, I remembered taking down the one I had freshman year. I remember as I was working on the stuff above my desk, Emily came in. I was listening to Aimee Mann's The Forgotten Arm, which I was obsessed with and trying to write a musical over. Emily winkled her nose as she spoke to me. Emily hates country music, and that's what she interpreted Aimee Mann as. She's not country music, she's not even as irritating as adult contemporary!
So tonight I put on Aimee Mann's Lost in Space. Seems appropriate, given how I am anticipating feeling lost, as this will the first time in my life I'm not in school. And because the album was so important to me at the end of high school. It felt too perfect not to do.But that's not all. As I was working on my wall, Dan came over to hang out and chat a little. This too, felt like another bizarre moment of full circle. When I was putting up my first wall collage freshman year, Erik watched me, and we chatted about some stuff he was having problems with. Somehow, Dan watching me bring it down while we chatted felt totally right.
So here I am, thinking about the end of high school, the beginning of freshman year, the end of freshman year, and the end of college. I feel really sad and little scared for my immediate future and also excited. Like I did at all those moments.
I'm planning on having some more of these moments tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see how if it keeps happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment