Saturday, November 27, 2010

Confusion

On Thanksgiving, I got this tea pot/hot pad thing.  I'm not really sure how to describe it, because no one has ever given me a name for it before, but basically it's a plastic pitcher with a big grand wire in it that you turn on and it heats up the contents of the pitcher.  I had one two years ago, in the summer of 2008, and back then I used it to make tea, which I was drinking with every meal.
Today I turned this new one on and again attempted to make tea.  It worked fine, though it might have damaged the surface of my desk a little.  I don't know what I'm going to do about that, other than try to find somewhere else to make it that won't destroy furniture.  (The floor maybe?  Though I don't want to burn the carpet.) 
Anyway, after the tea was made I went downstairs to pinch some sugar.  I try really hard to drink my tea without, but if it's not a fruity tea I really struggle to make that happen.  This was close enough to English Breakfast that I wasn't going to get far. 
I ran into Susan in the elevator.  "What are you going there for?" she asked, noting my destination. 
"Just going to get some sugar.  I made tea." 
"You're going to put it in your hand?"
What?  "The tea's in my room," I answered, not sure what to say.  Lately people sort of babble at me and say such strange things that sometimes I'm honestly not sure how to answer.  I honestly don't understand what they're saying. 
Then she saw me later.  "Oh, the sugar's in packets," she said.
Er, yes, but now I understand your confusion. 

5 comments:

  1. Over here Eliza we call them electric kettles. You boil the water then pour the water onto your tea leaves in the tea pot. Oh first you should heat the tea pot with hot water. It helps the tea brew more efficiently. Twinings tea makes the best tea. It comes in all sorts of blends to suit your taste. You should be able to get some in your local supermarket even in your kneck of the woods.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip Tony. Okay, I guess I'll refer to it as an electric kettle. (It makes sense to call it that.)
    I like Twinnings a lot, though I have to say, I'm partial to Whittard of Chelsea too. Sometimes I happen by speical tea shops, and I love those too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whittards!!!Oh you do get the good stuff over there.
    So you are a tea lover then?

    All the best,
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meant to say in my comment. Jane Austen used to drink Twinings.When visiting her brother Henry in London she would go to Twinings offices in regent Street to buy her tea.

    I wrote a blog about tea in the 18th century some time ago on my blog London Calling. It was called, A Cup of Tea with Jane Austen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, Whittard's is very good. I had no idea that we know what Austen preferred tea-wise. I'm always flabbergasted at how much information we have about historical figures.

    ReplyDelete