Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Chuckie D. Was Here

Ms. Beaton of Hark a Vagrant! has created quite a great series of comics, frequently dealing with history and literature.  In a recent guest comic, Darwin has his adventures.
What really intrigues me about this particular comic is the idea of combining Darwin with Pokemon.  At one point, Darwin says he has to "catch them all" and now I am imagining a whole long story where Darwin "captures" creatures in Poke balls and battles it out with various naturalists (no one used the term "scientist" back in Darwin's day.)  I'm thinking maybe he should battle all those contemporaries who criticized him.  And maybe for good measure he should be traveling around with Charles Lyell, who inspired and supported him.
On a related note, I've wanted to write a screenplay about Charles Darwin for years but still haven't gotten around to it yet.  Don't worry: I promise I will. 

2 comments:

  1. Eliza, it would be great if you did write a screen play about Darwin.

    Apart from being a brilliant,"naturalist," he was a very brave man.

    All the best,
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tony. I guess I'm really interested in the lesser-known details of Darwin's life. For instance, I know that he was really close to his daughter, who died young. It was apparently this death that made him lose his faith. (Not evolution, as is sometimes believed.) And I would like to learn more about him and his wife, Emma, who was part of the infamous Wedgewood family.

    ReplyDelete