Monday, November 15, 2010

Harry and Hermione

I must be having a Harry Potter week, because I ended up reading this little post on the relationship between Harry and Hermione
I should come out to you all now, officially, as a Harry/Hermione shipper.  And unlike most fans, it's actually because I hate Ron.  I think he's a jerk.  He's nasty to Hermione, he is selfish, and he's a coward.  I was really hoping he would die in the last book, though if he went out with a blaze of glory, I guess I would have been okay with that.  (I wish a lot more characters would have died in the books, just because it was meant to be a war, and it was meant to be sad and hurt, and basically no one of any consequence died.  I think half the Weasley family and most of the students should have died.  I really wanted Neville to go down in the most epic way possible, saving the school in a way Harry never did, because in a lot of ways he was more of a hero.) 
I also dislike Ginny because she had no character development.  She was one character, and then suddenly she was someone else.  Hermione did the same thing, but the other way around, become weaker and more hysterical in the later books.  This really irks me, because I feel like it's poor writing and misogynist.  Women get depicted enough in the world as weak/emotional/a pain in the ass.  We need more stories about strong women. 

3 comments:

  1. Eliza, I like strong views. Great. Are going to see the new film???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on the fence about seeing the new film. I still haven't seen the sixth film, and I don't think I've actually managed through all of the fifth. I'm one of those people who prefer the books, though obviously I had problems with the book too.
    How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I will go and see it.
    Over the years, as a teacher, I have followed the series of books since the first one, with the pupils I have taught.I have read this last one and the very first one, completely, although I have not read all of the others.
    I've seen some of the films but not all.That probably makes me a partial follower. However Harry Potter has become part of the national consciousness over here. A little Like lord of The Rings and The Narnia books have done.

    It also reminds me of my school days. We all wear school uniforms over here and have school houses and sport is a major part of our education, football, cricket and rugby, not quidditch, though. The structure of Hogwarts and the way it is run and organised is very English.

    I think the thing that some parents object to with Harry Potter and not Narnia or Lord of The Rings is that it is less Christian in aspect. There is good against evil but the good use similar powers to those of the evil to overcome Voldemort. Narnia is very Christian based and so is The Lord of The Rings to a certain extent. I think some parents think their children are going to be influenced by the dark arts.

    Whether Harry Potter will become a classic as the Narnia stories and the "Rings," is to be seen. Time will tell.
    It has become darker and more evil. That is one thing that has progressed.

    My youngest daughter, Abigail, is going to a friends party on Saturday. They are going to see the film at The Odeon in Wimbledon. They are ten years of age. Will they be terrified?????

    All the best,
    Tony

    ReplyDelete