Thursday, November 18, 2010

Making an Effort to Understand

I've been reading this book about a man who decides to live in a foreign country.  At one point in the novel, his step-daughter gives him a hard time for not speaking the local language. As I was reading this book, I found myself wondering why he wasn't making an effort at it.  I would want to make an effort to learn some of the language, even though I am miserable at other languages; one could even argue I'm miserable at my own native tongue. The narrator was there for years, was there to understand; why did he not make an effort? He never explains in the book, (or at least he hasn't explained yet, and I'm about two-thirds of the way in) but certain characters give him a hard time over it.
I guess I could interpret this to mean that the reason he never fully grasps the country and the reason he is never fully accepted is because of the language barrier?

2 comments:

  1. I liked the Quidditch video in your last post Eliza. I don't think we play it here. I've not heard of it being played.

    The story you have just related about the man emigrating to the States and keen on becoming a citizen but not able or willing to learn the language is a common trait. We have had a lot of Indian and Pakistani first generation immigrants in this country and people from the Eastern European countries coming here nwoadays. They don't speak English or very poorly at best.
    I think they do it for the future generations of their family. If they come her or to the States they can establish their family and so benefit future generations. You can admire their foresight and perhaps sacrifice. But as you say, have they made the right choice? Why is our western education , culture so appealing/ It probably boils down to finances in the end. They can earn more here and live more comfortably.It might also have something to do with social and political security and a certain amount of freedom of speech. Mind you, with the recession we are all having to tighten our belts.
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess. I'm always so excited to go somewhere new, and I want to "do as the Romans" do, as they say.

    I loved watching those Quidditch videos. I'm so impressed by fans (of any sort, not just Harry Potter), who organize things like that.

    ReplyDelete