Saturday, November 6, 2010

Book and Comic Shopping

Went out for a bit of shopping today (instead of the studying I was supposed to be doing.)  Went over to the bookstore looking for a particular book.  I was so sadden to see that even though it was a madhouse in the store, the poetry aisle was almost completely deserted.  You could comfortably sit on the floor and read and not be in anyone's way.  Also, poetry is way in the back of the store, and I suspect that is completely on purpose too.
On a whim, I went into a comic book store.  Not for anything particular, but just to have a look around.  The guy at the front made me give him my tiny little bag with my tiny little book inside.  I was surprised, just because it didn't occur to me that this place would check things, especially something so small, but I gave it over without a fight.
I looked around a bit, reading bits and pieces of Buffy comics and enjoying a small section of Hellboy.  While I was wandering through a man nearby was on the phone talking to someone, saying he was trying to buy his little girl a Spiderman comic but the all looked too adult for her.
When I got my bag back, the young man apologized to me for having to take it.  I was surprised at the apology.  Perhaps my face showed disgust or annoyance when he asked for it?  I was really just totally shocked, because the bookstore nearby was far more crowded and no one asked to see a thing.  I said it was no big deal; I understand that sometimes these things are necessary.
While walking home, I passed this ugly, awful woman yelling at a dog walker, a carton of food on the sidewalk.  The woman was saying something about punching the dog walker in the face, and carrying on nonsensically.  Ugh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment