Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Racism: Still Not Dead

Sometimes other people do a much better job parsing out why something is wrong.  Native Appropriations has this great post called Why Can't I Wear a Hipster Headdress? that works out exactly why this is wrong.  I've actually never seen anyone do this in real life, and I'm sort of relieved, because I'm sure it would make me very angry. 
That isn't to say I don't occasionally see people do idiotic things similar to thing.  A couple Halloweens ago an acquittance (I'm reluctant to say friends because we were never close and honestly I can't remember a conversation involving her and it honestly took me three minutes to focus in on her first name) used blackface to play an African American celebrity.  Because we were around mostly white people, I'm not even sure if anyone noticed, but when I heard about it, I thought "Jesus, and people think racism is dead."

No comments:

Post a Comment