Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Marilyn Hacker Poem

I was reading some poems today, and I came across this great bits by Marilyn Hacker:
"You did say, need me less and I’ll want you more.
I’m still shellshocked at needing anyone,
used to being used to it on my own.
It won’t be me out on the tiles till four-
thirty, while you’re in bed, willing the door
open with your need. You wanted her then,
more. Because you need to, I woke alone
in what’s not yet our room, strewn, though, with your
guitar, shoes, notebook, socks, trousers enjambed
with mine. Half the world was sleeping it off
in every other bed under my roof.
I wish I had a roof over my bed
to pull down on my head when I feel damned
by wanting you so much it looks like need."
Ruth likes to tell me "be mean, keep them keen," and I've already mentioned why I dislike that entire life philosophy and how I think it's a little one-sided.  (Boys are far less likely to put up with a mean girl than the opposite.) 
I love the last bit of imagery, with the roof being pulled down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment