Sunday, March 20, 2011

Approachable

Another meal, another round of strange conversations.  At lunch, Predad sat down with me.  Later, when Tamar came and Predad was gone, I complained about Predad coming around, saying I don't understand why she wants to be around me when I am not friendly towards her at all.  (I mostly didn't talk as she sat there.  I would rather eat alone, in silence, then listen to her mostly incoherent babbling.)  "Well isn't this a common problem for you?" Tamar asked. 
"What's a common problem?"
"Well, you know, since you're easily approachable." 
What?  I don't agree at all.  I don't her I feel like I have the exact opposite problem.  People don't want to come anywhere near me.  I complained about an episode from several years ago where someone said some nasty things about me, that implied, among other things, that he would rather not go anywhere near me. 
"He was just being a stupid boy!" she answered.  "He just wanted your attention, so he said those things."
Well, he most certainly got attention from me.  The negative kind of course, and then I began to avoid him because I was all "Uh-huh.  This guy is awful and mean and really?  I can't believe he said those things with absolutely no evidence." 
Tamar maintains that he wanted my attention.  I'm skeptical.  He had plenty of opportunity and could have used all sorts of false reasons to come and talk to me and we had mutual friends and he never used any of it.
The conversation ended with Tamar saying that "I don't know how men think!"
"I can tell you right now," Jenny chimed in.  "They don't think." 
Oh well good.  Another person giving guys a slide on the whole being brainless thing. 
I still disagree with Tamar about being approachable.  It's not that I generally try to turn people off, though there are time I actively try, it's that I'm not doing anything nice.  Really. 
I would ask other people what they think but I can kind of guess.  Josie would agree, though she would frame it differently than Tamar did.  Ashley would probably say something nasty about it.  Dan would say something about me being an enigma, which is a whole other thing I am frustrated with right there. 

2 comments:

  1. That's life. Make's it interesting though doesn't it? Great scene for a novel, Eliza. What would the plot be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea. Maybe it would be like House of Mirth where everyone talks about Lily as being one way but by the end of the novel everyone thinks she's another way?
    Honestly I have no idea; I'm just spitballing here.

    ReplyDelete