Thursday, October 14, 2010

Conversation with Paul

Paul and I were talking later in the evening.  We were mostly being a little gossipy, as I told him the latest news on Ryan.  We were sort of amazed about it, given what we knew about him. 
Inevitably, this means we started talking about relationships in general.  Paul told me last year that he doesn't want to be in a relationship, and even though part of me is sad for him and for a lucky girl who should be dating him, I want to respect his feelings.  He's my friend, after all. 
"Do you want to be in a relationship?" he asked. 
I paused.  I thought about all the boys who I couldn't be with because they were gay, had girlfriends, were a million miles away, were clearly not interested, or, my favorite, not really as great as they first seemed. 
"Yes...but not just with anyone." 
"Well, I didn't think you were like Trusty and would just date for the attention." 
Usually I can't have conversations like these with boys, just because they are awkward and have a hard time opening up, but then Paul started in on something else, and we left it at that.  Two weeks ago we hashed out all of his unhappiness with the relationship concept, so there was no need to revisit it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment