Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Well-Read Wife

This morning I stumbled across a blog called The Well-Read Wife.  It basically looks like a small book review blog. 
What got my attention (and, obviously, got me thinking) was that the site's title basically identifies the author in a traditional woman's role.  I'm not sure how I feel about this.  Of all the things to think of one's self as, being something of another's seems strange.  Haven't women spent enough time being someone else's and not their own? 
She is reading Cassandra Clare, and, back before she was a well-loved children's author, I read her too, so it is hard for me to hate on her.  And I do like the author's (the well-read wife's?) observation about the Millennium Wheel being so Victorian.  So I guess it isn't all bad.  

3 comments:

  1. Good morning Eliza. It's muggy and damp here in Wimbledon; not too pleasant at all.

    Yes, I agree with you. The title tells a complex story of subjugation, I'm afraid. This is not a criticism of you lot over there but I've noticed there are a lot of blogs written by "stay at home wives" who like to bake and do home tuition with their kids, in America and who seek a "sort," of perfection.Some reply to my posts and I have to watch my language. We don't get those attitudes over here, or if there are those around who live this sort of life they keep very quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband told me not to respond to this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tony. I've notice that there are a lot of these types of blogs out there too. Some of them seem to be motivated by a similar desire as I was when I first started this blog: as a way to keep friends updated on my life. (I'm not a Mom, of course, but it's still the same basic principle.) I would imagine that there are blogs by stay-at-home wives and mothers who are not Americans, I just haven't come across any that I can point to.

    ReplyDelete