Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Crashing

Often, in the mornings, I like to read some blogs and news-sites to get a feel for what’s going on in the world. I don’t necessarily read tons of serious stuff, but some of it is. Today, I was disheartened to hear about this story involving a young girl committing suicide after being bullied. I have a lot of mixed feelings about it, but of course I can’t help reliving my own unhappy high school years and thinking about how cruel a few girls were.
Later on in the day, I was out for another one of my walks. In front of Hannah, I found four girls on the ground. They were all sitting on the ground, on the edge of the sidewalk, crouched down around each other. What were they looking at? I could only imagine the one time Virginia discovered a sick squirrel next to the psychology building and took it to the Vet Clinic to be looked at.
As I approached them, it became clear: one of them had fallen, or maybe had crashed her bike. The bike was discarded, and three girls were around the one girl with a bruised leg. They were asked her if she was alright, if she needed help, and then one kindly gave her bike back to the bruised girl.
I smiled. These little moments give me hope that we’re at least trying to be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment