Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Allied Documents

We're only on the second week on missionaries in one of my history classes, and it's driving me crazy. When we're in class talking about it, it's not too bad.
Mostly, it's an issue of how boring the sources are. All of them are written by white priests who complain about how hard it is to get "natives"/"heathens"/"infidels" to understand them, given the language and cultural barrier. Then they say some racist things. Then they whine about how strange other religions are. And then they say some creepy things about how they trained local children in Christianity and how those children are now destroying idols, which, given recent events, I really don't want to hear about.
I think I'm stressed about this upcoming paper I have on mission work in North America. We have to use the Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents, which is a huge source. I'm overwhelmed by this paper and the lack of structure. I'm afraid I'm going to fail.
I also am curious as to what the "allied" part of the documents is suppose to mean. All the bits of this source I've looked at have talked solely from Jesuit perspectives. Who are these allies? (Franciscans?)

No comments:

Post a Comment