Friday, March 19, 2010

Thesis Meeting

Last week, I spent three days outlining and writing a little over ten pages. It was pulling teeth, but I felt really good about the work I had once it was over. I felt like I had done a good job synthesizing everything, and that, compared to what I wrote earlier this semester, this was the best stuff yet.
I had my meeting today with my thesis adviser. She was not so enthusiastic. It's not like she hated it, but she did feel like I needed more quotes of the actual work. She's probably right, though I honestly don't want to use quotes. My friend Nate mentioned once that he thinks there's something sophomoric about quotes. I had never thought about it that way, but he was right. They make me think of middle schoolers who can't write. Not that I think you shouldn't use references, but I don't feel like quoting.
Possibly I'm being influenced by my one and only English class this semester, where we're reading a lot of theory, which I'm really loving. Even when an article is directly addressing a work, there aren't that many quotes. Maybe the problem is that I'm not defending my work well enough, and I'm trying to run before I can walk.
I'm also nervous because I am suppose to give a presentation/talk on this thesis in a few weeks. I'm so afraid people I know will come, and then I'll have to try to look like I know what I'm doing. I'm even more afraid a professor will show, and then they'll know when I'm screwing this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment