Sunday, March 21, 2010

Miss Know-It-All

Today at lunch, some of my friends and I were talking about me starting an advice column. When I was in the eighth grade, my friend Paul and I were talking, and he asked me for some advice. I gave it (though I don't remember what it was on), and he said that I was really good at that sort of thing. Every once and a while, someone does say that, and I'm always startled by it. It's a compliment, but one that I feel unworthy of, just because you have to be careful when you give advice, and, unless someone's being a complete jerk, you have to be gentle.
Sometimes I wish people wouldn't give me these kinds of ideas, because of course I'm going to come up with something. For example, in the half-hour since that conversation, I've decided that if I did do this, it would have to be a blog, because I'm falling in love with blogging as I work on this project. (I also find myself wondering if I should start other blogs or projects that would include blogs.) I also think I would call it Miss Know-It-All, because every great advice columnist has had a cool, catchy name. I recently discovered Ask Mormon Girl, which I think is a great name, and I'm really loving it, since I'm learning so much on the subject.
But all of this planning and looking at other good examples wouldn't solve my bigger problem: that I would steer people in the wrong direction, and I'd never forgive myself for inadvertently screwing up someone's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment