Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Life and Tales of William Marshal

On Monday, my friend Kelly and I were discussing how we should make a movie about William Marshal. Today, while sitting in a class and learning about Henry II, who seems to have been really interesting, I think I still like the basic idea.
I think it would be better as a miniseries about William Marshal, focusing on his time as Young King Henry's knight. After Young King Henry dies, he goes to Jerusalem, and then we can end at Marshal's death. I'm thinking, in the beginning, we let Marshal tell three stories about himself to establish the kind of person he is, maybe the first three interesting stories about him from the poem that is about him.
I like this idea mostly because so many other movies have been done about other people who have spent time around Henry II, like Becket and The Lion in Winter. Henry II seems to have really captured writer's imaginations, since there's Murder in the Cathedral, and hell, even the Canterbury Tales is ultimately about Becket.
I tried, over Christmas Break, to watch The Tudors, and wasn't that into it. Maybe I've over done it with the Tudor history? It seems unlikely, but possible. I think, mostly, that it's no fun for me because I already know what's going to happen to all the main characters, unlike most Americans, who maybe know, at best, that Elizabeth will eventually become queen. I think also court intrigue is just depressing, because it reminds me how untrustworthy everyone is.

No comments:

Post a Comment