Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Frances E.W. Harper

So, I'm slowly working through a thesis right now. I like what I'm writing about a lot (political female poets from the 19th century), but I feel very sluggish about it. I hate sitting in my room writing papers. It's been really bothering me. I would much rather grab some reading I have to do for a class and read in another part of the building. And I hate sitting anywhere for long periods of time, so I find I'm moving myself a lot. Basically, I'm having trouble getting much done.
One of the poets I'm writing about is Frances E.W. Harper, who is most famous for her poem "Bury Me in a Free Land." The first time I ran across her poem, I was shocked by how good it was, particularly the imagery. When I discovered she was a free African-American woman writing during and after the Civil War, well, I knew I had stumbled across something important.
I want to write a poem celebrating her, but every time I sit down to write that, it just comes out a mess. How did these old school poets write things like elegies?

No comments:

Post a Comment