Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Text Bombing

I spent the evening with Erin and Nori.  Erin recently moved into this new place, so I was unfamiliar with everything.  Earlier in the evening John and Liz had stopped by.  Liz wanted to go to Pinball Pete's, which I had never been to.
One of the few regrets I have about college is that I didn't do as many social things as I wish I had.  I spent a lot of my Saturday's working on homework, which is really sad.  It panned out, I guess, in that I had excellent marks, but now that I have nothing better to do, I find myself wanting to make up for lost time.
Liz said they'd be back soon, so the three of us waited around for her to call us back.  I find myself wanting to go out to the bar and try new drinks and have some nice conversation.
Erin decided she was going to start text bombing people.  What this apparently involves several people texting someone else a nonsense phrase.  Erin first decided to try Matt (which I wished she wouldn't, because I still have to talk to him and have tentative plans to hang out with him in a few days), and then focused her energy on Jonathan, her roommate.
"Where is John?" I asked.
"Luda," Nori said.
What?  "Luda?"
"Ludacris."
Oh, man, I really must be getting old.  I had no idea that Ludacris went by Luda now.
Matt texted back, asking what this was all about.  Then Jonathan, who doesn't even know my number, texted me back some choice phrases.
Then Erin and Nori started telling me stories about their hometown.  I've heard so much about it at this point that I suspect I could talk about it like I lived there.  (Though I think of this as a good thing.)  They started on Hannah Bethel, who I though was a fictional person until they showed me this:

It's not a bad song, per se, but it's not really impressive either.  It just seems to be a rehashing of a bunch of tropes common in country music.  Also, the backroads thing just makes me thing of inappropriate things.
"She's not that good," Nori said.  I agree, but mostly because my favorite music is the stuff that is different from other things I've already seen.
Erin and Nori and I played mop baseball, which is this game we made up where you take a mop and try to hit a bouncy ball.
Then we went up the stairs to Erin and John's room.  It was a mess in a way that reminds me of every picture I've ever seen of Kurt Cobain's homes.  The only nice thing was this beautiful mural on the wall and ceiling of a tree.  Whoever did that did a really nice job.  It looked great.
As we were talking, I was spouting off hilarious zingers after another.  I don't know why but sometimes I get into this mood where everything that comes out of my mouth is funny and strange.  "You don't have to act like you're in a sitcom," Erin commented.  Okay, I guess that's my cue to tone it down a little.
Nori was playing all this cool music.  Nori herself is a musician, and a very talented one.  I love listening to her stuff.  "I wish I was twenty-one," she said.  "So that I could go out dancing."
I feel the exact same way.  I always want to go out and dance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment