Monday, July 12, 2010

Serial Caller

My little sister has a little girl that she likes to babysit.  My sister decided that we should take her out to see a movie. 
As we were driving there, my sister complained about how the parents had been bugging her about when they were going.  "I'm doing them a favor," she said.  "Don't give me a hard time about it." 
I'm surprised to hear this from her, since she usually says that she likes these people.
At the theater we ran into problems.  The parents informed us that this little girl should have lemonade, which meant that the theater didn't have any.  So we were forced to go with fruit punch.  The first thing that I thought was that she was going to spill on herself. 
It took her one sip. 
The little girl was mostly well-behaved.  She sat up a lot during the movie, she squirmed in her seat, but mostly was fine.
We took her home.  Her parents weren't there yet.  "Somehow, I knew that was going to happen," my sister said.  I had been thinking the same thing.  I often feel like these people are taking advantage of us.  We're always doing them favors and they're always treating us in shaky ways in return.
The other thing that surprised me was that they had gone to a shooting range.  For people who apparently can't afford to pay a babysitter, they have tons of money for impractical cars, a guitar and bullets.  I don't mind guns, but I don't trust these people so I don't want them to have a gun.
As we drove home, my sister told me about her friend Anna.  Anna's car broke down, so they sent it to the patriarch, and she made cookies and took the little girl to the zoo for the day. 
My sister complained about how often the matriarch calls my Mom.  It's excessive.  She's also what I would call a serial caller, which is someone who calls and calls and calls, all without stopping much inbetween individual calls.  It's a really irritating habit, especially if it's not an emergency.  (If it's an emergency, than it's acceptable.  Otherwise, stop.  If someone's not picking up, they probably have a legitimate reason or they aren't near the phone to know you're calling anyway.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment