Friday, July 16, 2010

Sweets

I walked with Dan to the ice cream store.  We were going there to meet Justin.  I hadn't seen either of them in so long, but just walking with Dan made me feel like it was old times. 
We got there before Justin, so we waited outside for him.  When he appeared, he looked kind of the same, but all grown up.  He had on his lightweight frames and his black shirt and pinstripe pants.  He looked very fancy, but also very adult.  We exchanged hugs. 
We went inside.  I didn't really need ice cream, since I had already far too many sweets, but I agreed to get something.  I went with some peach ice cream.  I honestly hadn't been in this shop since I went with friends and my then-boyfriend freshman year, so I'm not familiar with what they had. Both of the boys got smoothies, which is what I should have had. 
Justin and Dan and I talked.  Justin talked about work.  He seems to really love his job and be really enthusiastic about it, which makes me happy for him.  He deserves those good things because he's worked so hard.
As we were sitting there, Johnson came in and went in the back.  I wanted to have a nice conversation with Dan and Justin, and sometimes Johnson can be a little much, so I was praying that he wouldn't notice us. 
No such luck.  Johnson called me from inside the store.  And he came down and sat with us. 
Dan's going to be moving into an apartment with an old friend.  Dan's a little worried, since the friend's only tie to the area is his girlfriend, that the friend's not going to stay long.  I told Dan, since I knew this friend, that he shouldn't worry because the friend wasn't the kind to stiff him.  This particular person strikes me as the kind to not always have long relationships, but the kind that would probably find another girl, and another connection, to make it work. 
Justin also mentioned his family a little, since his parents are celebrating their anniversary.  Justin sadly won't be around this weekend because he's hanging out with them. 
They also discussed another mutual friend, Nick.  They were saying what a jerk he might actually be, but that everyone liked him.  I really like him to.  He is kind of bitchy, but he also has this deeply honest thing going on that makes me like him more.  
Nate then texted me, asking me how I expected to get back to his place.  Okay then, guess that's my cue to leave, I thought.  I said goodbye to people, had more hugs, then I got in the car and we went back over to Nate's place. 
Back at Nate's place, we began to wind down for the night.  Nate worked on an online quiz for a class.  Megan got ready to go to bed.  I wrote in my journal. 
After Nate finished his quiz, we went out for a late night walk together.  It was really beautiful.  There was a crescent moon hanging low in the sky.  We wandered through mostly darkness, Nate leading me since he was familiar with the area.  We trampled through some rough parts, making me regret (just a little) wearing flip flops.  There was even one small spot that felt like a swamp.  But as we walked I thought about what an exciting day it had been and how glad I was to have come for a visit.  Spending time with friends like this always makes me so happy and both nostalgic and enthusiastic for the future at the same time.  As we walked, we spotted a small kitty darting by an apartment complex. 

No comments:

Post a Comment