Monday, June 13, 2011

Trade Off

Once, I was hanging out at Katie's room, and we heard a noise outside.  We poked out heads out of her place, and down the hall (which was only a few doors down,) we saw Rita and a few others looking out the door.  We went over, and there was a guy, pounding on the door, howling in this really low voice.  He was extremely belligerent and almost certainly drunk.  It made me think of werewolves.  He wanted someone to let him in, and Rita told him no.  At which point, he beat in part of the door, making a big enough hole for him to just open the door himself. 
At which point, we scattered into various rooms, and then locked the doors. 
I bring up this story because I was wandering down the hall late one night, wet from a shower, and I heard a similar noise, and I found myself wondering if someone was, once again, trying to break into a building. 
Oh God, how I had wished someone was trying to break in. 
Because of the potential danger the last time, I was edging down the hallway very slowly, ready to turn and run if danger should arrive.  About halfway down the hallway I realized the sounds, which was low, was coming from inside the building.  Inside?  What the heck? 
And then, right before I came around the corner, I heard a woman's voice and it hit me.  A couple is having sex.  Loudly.  And from what it sound like, potentially very painful sex.  Seriously, the guy's voice was really loud, and made me think of a monster, and like I said, I mistook it for a drunk. 
This was the part that ended up really surprising me (yes, there was a part that surprised me even more): standing in front of the offending door was a young man I knew.  He immediately signaled me to keep quietly frantically, and I think I whispered "Do you seriously think I want to draw attention to myself at a time like this?"  Oh hell no. 
It wouldn't have mattered if I had just walked over there, because the door I needed to go in was just across the hall anyway, so I would have to hear stuff anyway, and I would have seen people anyway.  I went into the room, locking the door behind me, wondering what the heck was going on and why God felt the need to punish me. 
I laid down in the bed, but I could still hear them. 
I went to the peephole, and saw the young man standing outside go inside after the noises inside stopped.  He didn't wait long, and he basically knocked on the door as he was opening it.  That indicated this was something they were all use to. 
I went back to bed but had trouble sleeping. 
I've been finding myself really lonely lately.  And then I feel guilty for feeling lonely, because I have tons of friends (how many people have I mentioned on this blog alone?  I don't even know.)  But I think all the changes in my circumstances has me wishing for something more stable. 
When I was younger, I never spent time with people outside the places I was forced to socialize (school, but also after school activities and other things like that.)  There were lots of people I liked and I had a lot of respect for certain individuals, but I didn't really want to spend more time with time.  What I wanted to do was read books and write stories and go out for walks.  I was alone, but after a certain point, I stopped getting lonely.  And then I spent years not being lonely. 
Sometimes I wonder if becoming a social person again was worth it, because I was emotionally tough in ways that sometimes I don't feel now.  And like I said, I never got lonely.  Even after I got social again, in those first few years I only got lonely once every six months at most.  I'm not sure if this was such a smart trade off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment