Saturday, June 25, 2011

Busked

Read this article on busks, which were one of the many devices used, mostly by women, to make their clothing stiff. 
I realize this is a totally historically accurate thing, but when I read stuff like this it makes me want to throw up.  I complain all the time about my jeans being tight; when I see women wore things like this I think "there's no way I could handle that." 
There's mention in this article that one busk has a love message on it.  It might make an interesting detail of a romance story.

2 comments:

  1. Very good Eliza. When a couple became betrothed during the Georgian period and probably during the early Victorian period, the gentleman provided his sweetheart with a busk with a love message written inside. Busks were great for the cleavage by the way. The well endowed lady looked even more well endowed and the lady with lesser attributes made the best of them. I think they were very popular.I'm quite sure they didn't cause any discomfort to the wearer.

    All the best,
    Tony

    PS Shall I provide a bucket for throwing up purposes!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info, Tony. Honestly, up until yesterday, I had never heard of those before.

    ReplyDelete