Monday, December 20, 2010

We Are All Politicians Now

There's this article discussing Jon Stewart and his recent may-or-may-not-be activism on his show.  I wrote back in July how disappointed I was in Stewart and the Daily Show's handling of Jezebel's pointed but fair questions about gender on the show.  I've been watching the show on and off ever since, but I've been increasingly disappointed in how conservative and self-serving he is or has become. (I say or because I'm uncertain if this has always been true or if I am only now aware of it.)  In the last two months or so I haven't watched the show at all, in part because I don't have access to a television but also because I've felt no desire for his show.  A couple days ago one of my friends asked me if I had been watching recently and I couldn't even say I missed the show; I generally don't think about it anymore, despite being a religious watcher for nearly ten years. 
Everything we do is political, even if not overtly.  Everything we do is influenced by politically motivated, and Stewart is the same.  This isn't to say he's different from other comedians; they too are political through the choices they make in terms of the jokes they make, how the present themselves, etc.  Stewart can protest his politician status all he wants, but we're all negotiating through politics.  Sure, a lot of work is about being critical about politics, but that is in itself critical, because he's chosen to make decisions on what his show does or doesn't cover, how it is covered, etc.   

No comments:

Post a Comment