Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Talk is Cheap

Talk radio is generally one of those things that I don't have a lot of patience with.  I hated eating in the cafeteria in the morning and listening to one angry man carry on about hair arm pit lesbians in Ann Arbor and how people just "don't get it."  At one point, about three years ago, I considered calling in and agreeing with everything he said and then adding "And you know, that's the same reason why I think I should be allowed to eat babies."  And then prattling on with some completely bogus idea about baby eating, and thus making him look completely ridiculous.  I would inevitably get cut off, sure, but the idea's stayed with me. 
I was in the car with Ashley, which was probably the first mistake.  No, on second thought, the first mistake was being up so early.  The second mistake was being in that car. 
But we were listening to another one of these heinous programs.  This one was all about the misogyny, and it made me sick.  A bunch of (mostly, but not all) men.  They were infatuated with the idea of the penis, saying it a lot.  All this worship of a sexual organ, one that is valued above another sexual organ, one that is gendered differently.  Oh goodie, I thought.  I'm so glad I got up for this. 
And then some woman called in with a story about some lesser-known sexual act that her boyfriend wanted to do, and this prompted a whole slew of carrying on about how this act, no matter if it was consensual, was automatically bad.  No one who called to comment or was hosting the show could stop from laughing nervously.  We get it people: you're afraid of sex.  Especially something where a woman is dominating a man. 
Ashley felt the need to ask me how I felt, and, God, I wish she wouldn't, because I was already smart enough to know we weren't going to agree.  I told her how I felt, that it wasn't that big of a deal, it wasn't really that strange, and that making something forbidden often just made it more desirable. 
She said how much she disapproved on this act.  Ashley disapproves of anything that people do that she wouldn't, and I think she is so judgemental and ridiculous.  I don't pretend for a moment that I should be running every aspect of everyone's life; I don't even have time for all the things I want to do with my life. 
"Maybe I'm a prude," she said at one point.  It was the most honest thing I heard that whole morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment