Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Family Project

My Mom told me a few days ago that she wants to make getting me into graduate school "a family project."  No thanks.
As much as I like where I ended up, I'm still angry and bitter at them for forcing me to go there.  Even though I had decent grades and had offers to try elsewhere, my family wouldn't hear of it.  They were too concerned for what was good for them to care about what might be good for me.  I don't think I'm ever forgiving them for cajoling me into those circumstances, especially after they have spent so much lip service carrying on about how important education is to them, and how they always support their children.  Please. 

And then my Dad felt the need to tell me that he wanted to meet with my professors to talk to them about this.  First off, I don't think my Dad (or Mom) deserve to meet anyone from school.  I was involved in extra curricular activities and they had plenty of opportunities to come to those, which they rarely did, even though I invited them.  They could have easily met people there, but I feel like now, especially after events in which very publicly, I was the only one without a family, they don't really deserve that opportunity. 
Also, I'm angry that my Dad can't just accept that what I'm saying is true.  I've spent the last four years or so working on either getting into graduate school or working on plan B, which was entering the publishing industry.  I went to lectures, and I have experience.  Mostly, I think my Dad just doesn't want to give in, and would rather make me do a program I don't want to do because I would waste another at least another two years instead of doing things I want to do. 
I'd appreciate some support, sure, but my parents are never really interested in what I want, and, frankly, dealing with them is just another distraction I don't need.  At least when I was at school they weren't around so I didn't have to worry about them.  They're not really about supporting me, they're about doing what is easy.  I am never a priority when I need them, but when they decide they don't like something, that's when they pay attention and meddle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment