Thursday, September 30, 2010

Wake

A couple of day ago someone showed me the website of a new literary magazine called Wake.  They are associated with GVSU, and they're looking to publish works about the Great Lakes.  Since MSU is right smack dab in the middle of several lakes, I thought some of my readers might like the link.   
I actually heard about this literary magazine about a year and a half ago, when they were first starting.  I happened across a bookmark from them, promoting their about-to-start journal. 
There's not much on the website, but I did find this little piece about an "Okie" who identifies with being from the Midwest.  It's an interesting piece.  I've never thought of Oklahoma as Midwest, or, as this author comments, from the Southwest.  I've always thought of it as Great Plains sort of place, which may or may not be right.   I once knew someone from Oklahoma , but he defined the place as Southern, which, again, totally not what I thought. 
Maybe I need to go to this Oklahoma.  Just because it seems to be a place in-between or at the very least, unidentifiable in some way.  And that's the sort of place that would be interesting to me. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Eliza.
    Have you been missing out on the great Elizabeth Gaskell tour?
    It is 200 years since her birth.
    15 of us have written linked articles for you to peruse. There is the chance of winning a prize too.
    It has been organised by Laurel Ann at Austen Prose. I'm number fifteen in the list.

    It starts with a biography of Elizabeth Gaskell written by Vic from Jane Austen's World.

    Thought you might like to have a look.

    Here's the link to Vic's article. She has written a post about Bath since her bio of Gaskell so it is the previous article.

    All the best,
    Tony
    http://janeaustensworld.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony-

    I haven't been keeping up on Elizabeth Gaskell tour, in part because I've never read her. (I know, I know, something I have to get around to...) But thanks for the tip.

    An Okie is usually used as a slang way of saying someone from Oklahoma. But I've also heard it used simply as a term for a white migrant worker, one not necessarily from Oklahoma but somewhere nearby, like Arkansas.

    ReplyDelete