Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Time of Angels

Every once and a while I have a moment where I realize that I really am meant to work in literary theory. I was watching the latest episode of Doctor Who, and I had a great idea for a paper. I'm going to have to do a little research for it (read up on Foucault and the gaze, and probably have a look at one of my best theory books Ways of Looking), but I think I can swing it. I don't think it'll be a very long essay, but I want to write it, all the same, if only because I think it's a good idea and because I've never heard anyone apply theory to Doctor Who. I'm not up on British studies, so possibly someone has, so I'll have to do some research there too. Possibly someone's come up with this before me, but I suspect not, given the episode just aired yesterday. More likely, someone did something similar with other episodes, and I can draw on that to write a more informed and interesting essay.
These moments make me happy, make me feel like I might be teetering on the edge of genius. Even Erin, who read an early draft of the paper I mentioned a couple posts ago, was impressed with one of my observations about Toni Morrison's Sula and "Recitatif." Last night, as I was working on my paper, I felt like I was really doing this, really applying theory to a work, really creating an interpretation. I love this feeling. I love other related feelings, like that feeling of yes, I understand this and yes, I've created something worthwhile. Ta-da! I'm an emerging scholar, and an enthusiastic one at that.
Also, I cannot believe I am past fifty posts already! I feel like this blog just started. Maybe I am capable of keeping this up.

1 comment:

  1. Eliza, I couldn't help but write a comment about this post.

    I am old enough to have seen the first episode of Dr Who broadcast in 1963. I hid behind the sofa and covered my head with a cushion at the scary bits too.
    I was not unusual in this reaction. British children did that. It was a cultural phenomenon.

    Dr Who is a mixture of science, philosphy, history, sociology, discussing theories about time and space, society, our fears and nightmares. It's got the lot.

    You could make a life time career based on studying Dr Who. I see you are following the David Tennent Dr Who series at the moment.

    Have you seen the newest incarnation, Matt Smith?

    By the way there are a couple of those old police telephone boxes in London. Earls Court Tube station has one outside it's entrance. It's a listed building now, part of our historic culture.

    ReplyDelete