Monday, August 16, 2010

Interviewing Music

Yes, the interview went okay.  I say okay because I don't think I have the experience for it, but I did my best.  I don't know why, but I wasn't as excited for this interview as I was for previous interviews.
I was being interviewed in a coffee shop, which would have been fine, but music I recognized kept playing.  Two of them were the following: Radiohead's "House of Cards" and Spoon's "Paper Tiger".

This might be my favorite Radiohead song, though I must admit I am also a fan of Thom Yorke's "Hearing Damage."  I like how mellow this song is.  I like how it's a song about trying to get a woman to have an affair.  The singer talks about the woman's relationship as a house of cards, but anyone familiar with affairs knows what they qualify as.  (The singer is a jerk, obviously.)  Also, this video is really cool!

And this is Spoon's "Paper Tiger."  The moment this song started I thought "Oh, it's Spoon!"  I've been in love with this band for almost ten years now. 
Music has an odd way of dropping into one's life.  As a listener, you construct meaning for a song based on the moment in your life it came around.  I don't think I ever imagined either of these songs being associated with interviewing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment