Monday, August 9, 2010

Butterflies at Rest

Today, I did some work on my photography.  I started fooling around with the camera I have around 2008.  I don't really know anything about photography, I just experiment.  Sometimes stuff works out.  A lot of the times it doesn't. 
I took a lot of decent (though kind of generic) pictures of butterflies.  Unfortunately, I can't tell you what the names of most of these butterflies are, but if you know the names of any of these, leave me a comment!
I am not much of a photographer, but I do occasionally make an attempt to be "artistic."  Here is one of those attempts. I like the way the light comes in.  It's very dramatic. 
Another attempt, one that was not so successful.  The only thing that saves it is the background. 
Hang On!
Another butterfly. 
This butterfly is eating, using it's proboscis.  I was really impressed with myself for remembering that from school. 
Another attempt at being DRAMATIC.  There's something unintentional Goth about this photo.  (I didn't actually change the colors on this; this is actually the original photograph.)  It reminds me vaguely of a Siouxie and the Banshees music video.  I would apologize, if I was not in love with both Goth and that band.
I spent a lot of time being frustrated with my subjects for not standing still enough.  (My camera can manage some movement, but not everything.)  So, most of my pictures had to be butterflies at rest.  Here's another one in chow mode.
This butterfly broke my heart.  As you can see, it's wings are all damaged.  It wasn't moving very much, and it probably died.  I hope not, but seeing this thing made me really depressed.  Butterflies are like fairies, they're suppose to live forever. 
Nearby, another butterfly was enjoying some apple and watching the dying one make sad attempts to fly.  Butterflies are kind of jerks. 
I also tried birds, just because I figured they wouldn't move so much.  Instead, they mostly made sure I couldn't see their faces, like these two.  I spent a lot of time trying to chase various birds around. 
Chill-Laxing
This is the most chill otter I've ever seen.  I was actually slightly jealous, because a nap sounded really good to me right about then.  This otter should be in a old film.  I can just see him falling back onto a fainting couch.
The only thing not good about this is the rocks.  Otherwise, it might be comfortable.  Like most mammals, mother otters raise their young, teaching them important stuff like swimming and hunting.  Once a mamma otter has another litter, the older kids are on their own.
More birds, those these are far more cooperative.  I'm loving the lily pads here. 
Sometimes I'm just relieved when photos look like something you might see in a copy of National Geographic
More duckage here.  I was with a friend, and she insisted on feeding them a granola bar.  I've already complained on this blog about how much I hate people who feed animals, so I won't go through that again, just register my annoyance that this time it was a friend.  This picture has kind of a fun angle on it. 
That would be the feeding frenzy she caused. 
There are some more photos over at my Flikr collection if you'd like to see more.

2 comments:

  1. I like your pictures Eliza. Well done.The distance shots showing the trees, swans and the ducks, well it could be my local park. Looks very English.

    Great butterflies. Sorry, i can't help you with the names. I know somebody who could, an old school mate, but he lives in Hamilton Ontario and is just now off to the wild woods and lakes of Canada camping. I don't think I'd even get him on his cell phone.

    All the best,
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. :) It's okay, but every once and a while someone might know something, and I wouldn't want them to hesitate to post information.

    ReplyDelete