Monday, August 2, 2010

Bright College Days

Clearly, I'm having a strange day, because I have videos to show you of various great songs from Tom Lehrer.


This one is called "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park," which is delightful as it sounds.  It starts off as a nice song, you think it's going to be about a nice song, and no, it turns into a silly song about doing something no one sane or decent would do.

I love that he wrote a parody of the kinds of songs that you might hear in a college.  I love that he introduces the song by saying that everyone at these reunions gets "soggy with nostalgia."  This sounds a lot like those alumni songs, and indeed, it is related to a certain alumni song...
...like this one.

Lehrer reminds me vaguely of Victor Borge, who is most famous for combining classical music and comedy.  My friend Philip introduced me almost six years ago.  (He had Borge only on cassette tape, so he had to work to make me a copy of it.)  He made classical music, and its preposterous nature, fun, sort of like Lehrer, who makes fun of lots of different kinds of music.  Here, he dances around with someone while trying to work through Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2. 

2 comments:

  1. I love Tom Lehrer! Cool blog...found it randomly by looking for other folks that had Dr. Horrible listed as an interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I think Lehrer is pretty sweet too. Glad to hear you're into Dr. Horrible too.

    ReplyDelete