Friday, May 27, 2011

Poets and What They Read

Mark and I had a conversation about six weeks ago about if poets should read poetry.  (It's not necessarily the answer you think.)  And tonight, I came across this quote by John Giorno: "“I certainly won’t curl up in a chair with a book of poetry.”
I was arguing against reading poetry (sort of.  I was arguing that reading in general was more important that specifically reading poetry) and Mark was, as always, listening to me.  (He's really far too good to me.) 
That said, I've had conversations with other poets where this suggestion just horrifies them.  It's totally anathema.  I kind of like driving them crazy. 

1 comment:

  1. Have you heard the story of Picasso and Monet. When they met for the first time they hardly spoke. They just showed each other various pictures and drawings they had done. That was enough communication for them!!!!!

    Poets communicate through poetry like you and I POST COMMENTS Ha!Ha!
    Why shouldn't poets read poetry? It's the way they communicate their deepest feelings and ideas.

    Love the way you explore things Eliza.

    ReplyDelete