Thursday, May 19, 2011

Daria, The Movie (For Real This Time)

I'm almost afraid to say anything to Josie about this article about MTV casting a theoretical live action version of Daria, one of my favorite shows.
I have a hard time seeing any of the people they suggest for this role.  Will Ferrell doesn't feel right to me as the Dad, who I feel can do stupid and crazy and hysterical but couldn't manage the well-meaning of Daria's Dad.   That's not to say I don't think the show could be a live-action story, but I feel like it would have to manage with a sensitivity that this lacks.  Daria is like Elizabeth Bennett, Hermione Granger and Buffy Summers (and, yes, that other infamous teens who hangs with vampires, Bella Swan) : a role model who so many girls look up to and relate to that anything less than a perfect depiction is going to be a huge letdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment