Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Gandhi's Politics

I've mentioned here before that Gandhi is not who everyone thinks he is.  I increasingly get the feeling that no one really knows who he is.  The New Yorker recently published this piece on him, and I'm finding the biographical details fascinating.

This piece depicts him as more of an anarchist, or at least someone who saw the state as a dangerous institution.  My impression of him before this was of a man who at least bought into capitalism, a favored target of anarchism. 

1 comment:

  1. I read your link to the New Yorker article. It was very good but definitely had a bias. When you have made a decision to make a particular point you can bend any evidence.

    Ghandi, was a great failure in the things the article describes. The history of progress and innovation is littered with failures along the way. I think the New Yorker's argument is just a little askew in that Ghandi did capture the hearts and minds of many and made the world consider using determined, peaceful ways of protest and negotiation. That's his success.

    ReplyDelete