Monday, April 11, 2011

Aboligatory Will and Kate Post

Jenny and Elizabeth are so excited about the upcoming royal wedding, and I'm learning a lot just by hanging around them.  Today, however, I came across this article explaining names of the British well-to-do
I can't get over how strange and funny these names sound.  Tiggy?  It really does sound like a character I would have made up for a story when I was younger. 
The other thing I found myself thinking was that this isn't really that different in America.  The upper crust that goes to say, Yale, usually have double names to help indicate their family ties.  If I had to guess, I'd say some of those Ivy Leaguers are related to these people, and "stole" the idea from them. 

2 comments:

  1. Aboligatory, is a new word on me Eliza so I looked it up through a Google search and it came up with a list of sites, all links to this article.

    I think you have invented a new word.

    BRILLIANT!!!!!

    All the best,
    Tony

    PS Feel sorry for us Brits. We are having street parties to celebrate the Wedding. We will have to wave little union jacks too. Well we don't have to, it's a free country, but the impetus will be so great it will be difficult to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of like the idea of street parties, but more in a general way, as just a fun way to hang out. (When was the last time Brits got street parties? The Queen's Jubilee?)

    ReplyDelete